My current Redhawk Hunter was purchased from a friend, who was unable to make the revolver work. He complained of poor accuracy, and bad trigger. I have another long time friend, who is a guild smith, and he has always performed any needed trigger work on my guns. This particular Redhawk was new, and I do not believe the original owner fired more than a hundred rounds. All I did was to detail strip the weapon, which he never did, give it a proper cleaning, which he also neglected, I knocked off a few burrs, and I applied oil and lube. I then ran my normal hunting loads through the gun, with intent to establish a bench mark for a hunting load, determine needed sights via Bowen, and to determine what I wanted to do with the trigger. With the factory trigger, this particular Redhawk ended up being the single most accurate factory Redhawk I have ever owned. My favorite 240xtp hunting load worked like a charm, and Bowen made me up a set of sights that work well. The trigger ended up being one of the better factory units that I have used, without any work from my Guild friend. I ended up leaving it as it was, and the guy I bought it from now thinks that it has a great trigger, both single and double.

So, I would not pass judgement on a Redhawk trigger, prior to proper cleaning, lubrication, and some break-in. If at that point it needs work, then I'd look toward a professional smith, having expertise and experience on said trigger. Likely, for shooting whitetails inside 40 yards, the factory trigger should clean up fine. But, if somehow it is a factory defect, then Ruger should likely make a correction.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood