First hand experience with your revolver times THREE. I managed kill permits for well over a decade in your state. Though I mostly used archery tackle, I could not begin to estimate the total number I shot between the three RedHawks. Do yourself a favor and get a box of this:

http://www.black-hills.com/shop/new-pistol-ammo/44-magnum/#

I have nothing to sell, I am not a pitch man for anyone, I do not try to sell magazine articles, but I do like the Redhawk, and my last is the Hunter. The 240XTP has worked well, I've used it on deer, black bear, and boar. My favorite hand load runs the bullet a tad slower than the factory HDY load, and I favor the results. The above listed Black Hill load is a near duplicate of my hand load using this 240XTP. It shoots tiny groups near as well, and it just plain works. If it is a meat deer, you'll be picky on your shots to maximize both quality and quantity of the yield.

I used wide meplat hard cast in various backup handguns when I was camping, fishing, or hunting with archery tackle around large bear. For last ditch aggressive shot placements, from just about any angle, they are the ticket. But, on traditional hunting shot presentations on deer, I do favor the XTP at the Black Hills velocity range. I switched to this from the traditional Keith load. On these hunting shot presentations, the expansion of the XTP is a benefit, while giving ample penetration.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 05/24/16.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood