Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Bob, How did your long-throated 7mm Rem Mags compare to the 7mm Weatherby in the velocity department?

Nosler shows case capacities to be identical between the two rounds with 160s.

DMD: It seems to depend on the barrel. Keep in mind I have never owned a 7mm Weatherby so can't give a rifle to rifle comparison,and not sure it matters much anyway. I don't think one rifle is really conclusive.

But from a 24" barrel the best I got from any of my 7 Rem Mags was 3125 with a 160. That was a 24" 9 twist krieger throated for a 160 NPT with bullet base seated even with the base of the neck.I have seen some go faster but think friends and I were really pouring the coal to it.I just do not like doing that anymore.

I find that cases like the 7mm Dakota and 7mm Mashburn simply give more velocity because they hold more powder.

By saying that I don't mean to imply that the 7 Rem Mag is anemic.It s one of my handful of real favorites. smile

I thinkthat the Weatherby is loaded to higher pressures and has free bore, which should show some more speed.Adding free bore is like adding capacity.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/15/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.