Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Originally Posted by rembo
I'm with BobinNH on the 7 Rem Mag. It may have some drawbacks but it's not a total loser. I've had a few of them. My current one has no problem getting 140's to 3300 with Rel22 or H4831sc and it's Rel25/160 Accubond load would probably average near 3000, I've never done the math. This is a factory 700 24" barrel.
The only drawback it really suffers from is lack of kool

I think the drawback for me is the 7mm Rem has been a disappointing cartridge for me. I always walk away from it thinking why don't I just use a .270? I am currently shooting 150 NPTs out of my 24" .270 and with RL26 getting 3000 fps and good accuracy without pushing hard. I have had difficulty getting a 7mm Rem to do much better but others have more experience with it and get it to do more.

Will it work on game? Absolutely. I'm just not enamored.

Lots of people have struggled with thee same comparisons. Sure you can align things n a rifle chambered for 270 so that it gets closeto a 7 Rem mag, but that will vary across the board from rifle to rifle.

On weighted averages in the same barrel length, the 7 RemMag will always outdistance the 270.And the more you run them both past 300yards the more visible this will become....provided of course you run them both optimally.

The reason sis very simple....the 7 Rem Mag is a bigger case holding more powder and capable of greater velocity. That is a constant that will never change, even with modern slow burning powders.

If you can get the 270 to do "X", at the same pressures you can get a 7 Rem mag to beat it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.