Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Pappy348

The $329 Howa is the best quality rifle in that price range, but may not shoot as well as a RAR. I'd give up a little accuaracy for the nice action, but that's just me.

Mine in 223 shoots better than my Ruger Predator in 223....
in fact both of my Howas in 223 do...

I'm not surprised. My Vanguard is very accurate with the Fiocchi 40gr Vmax loads I've been feeding it. Everyone is so impressed with the RARs, I thought I'd just be agreeable. For $329, it'd be a no-brainer for me, especially since I regard DMs on a hunting rifle, especially ones that can't be filled from the top, as inventions of the devil. At $249, the Marlins are also very attractive.

Way back when the RARs and Marlins were new, I did a side-by-side in a LGS. The RAR magazine rattled like, well a rattle. The Marlin was plain, but seemed solid.

Brian Pearce, a writer I trust to be honest and meticulous, did a review on a couple of the Marlins and also used one in another article. He seemed very impressed, and not just for the money. It's a shame Remington dumped them in favor of that abortion they introduced later. Looks like a case of Not Invented Here to me. It would have been easy to just stamp their logo on the better rifle.

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/20/16.

What fresh Hell is this?