Originally Posted by Pappy348
I find it hard to equate the forged Howa action with a one-piece forged bolt with those others you mentioned, especially when some of your "good" ones have bolts that are brazed composites notorious for falling apart now and again.(this is a good chance for someone to post their pictures of Remington bolts with no handle eek )

Used rifles can be great buys, but only if tha buyer has the know-how to sort the wheat from the chaff. Sometimes there's a good reason why they're on the used rack and the last thing our boy needs is a problem or a project.

I'd take a good Remington 700 mountain rifle over a clunker Howa any day of the week and twice on sunday. However, there's economy based rifles that are just as good as either. Just shot my buddies savage 11/111 XP Trophy hunter 22-250 and it's a true sub moa "all day long" rifle. If I were counting my pennies and just had to have a new rifle as the OP suggests, that's the route I'd take. They shoot great, have an excellent trigger, handle well, etc. etc. Hell, they even come as a package with a scope...What more could a guy ask for? whistle

Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I'd look for a good deal on a used Win70 XTR.

Or a Ruger 77 tanger or MKII.

There are lots of good deals on used 30-06s.

Excellent suggestion. However, I think the thought of buying used scares the hell out of the OP... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA