Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Competitive target shooting is where you can hone your skills.

We have leagues here in the CT area for three and four position matches. During the fall and winter it's 22's at 50 ft indoors on Thursday nights.

During warmer weather it's 'big bore' leagues at 200 yds.

This doesn't hurt, but it sure doesn't represent hunting either. I know... I've done what you are doing way past 200 yards for many a year... and was pretty decent at it, but its not offhand hunting practice IMHO.

We also run the running deer shoot in the fall and so do other clubs around here!

Whatever you guys got to do to stay in practice. Pulling the trigger is pulling the trigger. I've shot trap competitively, gone to many centerfire and rimfire shoots, shoot at the local gravel pit and other gun clubs. When I was young, I used to shoot jackrabbits on the run and walked many thousand miles doing so, also shot the chit out of them in the night time while riding in the back of a pick-up hanging on to the top of the cab with one hand and shooting with the other. Shooting is shooting. There's also no replacement for practice. I hear some guys even practice dry firing while sitting on the couch. Never done that and probably never will personally, but if it works for you so be it. I'd rather send rounds down range at paper or game, it doesn't matter.... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA