I've actually had it about a month, but wanted to wait before posting anything to be able to give a more honest evaluation. I've been driving this Toyota for 9 years and 172,000 miles. It has been a great truck that did what I needed. But in 9 years things have changed.

[Linked Image]

We needed a bigger truck and went with a 2014 F-150. I ended up getting the 5.0 V-8 instead of the 3.5 V-6 turbo. I looked at buying a new 2016, but didn't want to trade in the Tacoma. My wife wants it. She wanted something bigger than the Honda, but not a full size truck or SUV. I still think that most of the time you do better in the long run buying new, but without trading the Tacoma that wasn't going to happen. I bought this a few days before Memorial Day weekend and found a motivated dealer. I'd been looking about 2 months and this is the 1st used one I found that was worth the price. Most are either half worn out, or within $3000-$4000 of new.

I also considered a 2012-2014 Tundra, but there were extremely few available to choose from.

[Linked Image]

I think Ford is onto something with the 3.5L turbo, but for my needs the 5.0L was the better option. EPA ratings only show the 3.5L at 1 mpg better, but based on actual owners I've talked to and my own experiences there is no difference. FWIW, so far the fuel mileage is exactly the same as my Tacoma, 16-17 around town, 19-20 hwy.

Properly equipped the 3.5L will tow more. But every single 3.5L truck that I looked at, new or used, came with 3.31 gears. Every single 5.0L I looked at came with 3.55's. The big numbers Ford advertises are with 3.73's, and if both engines have 3.73's the difference is less than 1,000 lbs. This will tow anything I'll ever hitch to it. If I towed heavier stuff or more often I'd have probably held out for a new 2016 with the 3.5L and gotten the 3.73's

Price was the deciding factor. All else being equal the 5.0L was $1500-$2000 cheaper. I passed up a 2013 with the 3.5L and 27,000 miles at the same price I paid for the 2014, 5.0L with 17,000 miles.

So far I'm very pleased. It is a much smoother and quieter ride than the Tacoma. The older I get the more important that is, especially on longer trips. My favorite feature is the 36 gal fuel tank. I haven't let it get below 1/4 tank yet. But it is nice to buy gas when I WANT to, and at prices I want to pay rather than buying every 300 miles because I NEED to.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.