Originally Posted by Remsen
I'm with the OP, especially with regard to the 36 gallon fuel tank. I have an 09 F150 4x4 with the old 5.4 V8 and it gets about 19 mpg freeway (with bigger off road tires I put on it). I deer hunt about 140 miles from where I live and have to go off road about 15 miles to get to the location. From there, I crawl up and down logging trails in the truck and often get about 10 mpg in 4wd low. With the 36 gallon tank I can make the entire round trip without ever having to refuel.

I don't tow and I don't drag race the truck, so the 5.4 is plenty fast for my needs. It's also been bulletproof reliable in the 7 years I've had it.

That says a lot for your old pickup. I have an 04 GMC that I really like, but have been thinking about getting something with a little more room (4 doors). However, I think just about everything on the drivetrain has been rebuilt, except for the engine and it only has 140,000 on it. I'm very thankful I enjoy rebuilding a tranny, rear end, front differential, and transfer case about every 10 years... Bull chit... laugh . It's been proven, in the harshest conditions that the Ford pick-up stands up better than anything else made. When they say "Ford tough", they aren't lying... Back when I was a kid, I used to buy old "mine trucks". This is what I called them, as they came from the gold mines of Nevada. I would buy 3 or 4 year old Ford F-150's and F-250 4x4's for a couple thousand each, sometimes even less. One of my favorite pickups was a 1990 F-250 with the 5.0. That thing got 20 mpg on the freeway and was a fun truck to drive. Not a hot rod by any means, just a fun truck to drive. I remember buying that one in the fall of '93 and paying $1,900.00 for it. It had 119,000 miles on it... Those were the days... crazy

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA