Hi there,
Good luck on your African adventure. This is my third trip to Africa for hunts. One trip to South Africa and two to Tanzania. Of the two, I enjoy the Tanzania experience much more than the lodge hunt in South Africa. However, I recommend that you start your hunting plan with a species list. Figure out. What you want to hunt. If that species is not located in a certain country, then by all means, don't choose that country.

The next step is to determine what kind of hunting experience you want. If you want to stay in a lodge every night, then choose a country in which this type of hunt is more common, such as South Africa. Same issue with respect to free range vs fenced hunting areas. If you want at tent or tent cabin hunt in the bush, then perhaps Tanzania is a better choice. I don't know about any other countries, so perhaps others can chime in.
The next step is to choose an outfitter. If anyone offers you a certain species with a certain score, then you can presume that the hunt is for auctioned animals and that it will be in a fenced area. The issue of hunting areas and wild game are issues that you will need to have a frank discussion about with your outfitter.

Selecting an outfitter can be a daunting prospect. Fortunately there are a few tools available. First and foremost, there is a subscription based service called The Hunting Report. You can pay for a subscription and get online information at The Hunting Report Website I subscribed to it for two years, It is worth it's weight in gold as it is based on hunter reports, rather than on professional writers, who owe their next story to whoever gave them a free trip. I suggest that you give serious consideration to a paying for a subscription.

If you want to know who I have used in the past in South Africa and in Tanzania, please message me. I will get back to you.