I borrow rifles on all my overseas hunts. No hassles, no firearms control, no overweight baggage or second bag...whatever. I've heard too many horror stories about getting guns through security to want to deal with it. I paid $50 to rent my PH's 30-06 AI when I went to RSA. Well worth it, unless you're just dying to use your own. On 5 animals, my longest and hardest shot was about 100 yards standing still...hardly worthy of "knowing your rifle", though the possibility of a long or hard shot is always there, and I did shoot that rifle several times before going hunting.

As far as the other suggestions, it is all spot on.

More money, less cloths.

Carry everything valuable in your carry on, plus a change of cloths and your boots. You can continue your hunt with the bare essentials if things get lost.

I had my stuff mounted by Highveld, (4 Euro mounts and an impala mount) and do not regret it, though next time I likely will have it things shipped to my taxidermist in the US instead.

I stayed at the Afton house in Joberg, and really enjoyed it, but it seems others have had issues there.