I think they should count as either an antlerless tag or make up special cull tags, especially in areas where only one buck can be taken.

Our rules are so screwed up that you can't even kill a 3 year old spike unless you are under 16 years old. 3 pts or better on at least one side to be legal for adults. I watched a spike that reached 4 years old before he disappeared. Hope he was killed, but do not know. His horns looked like a good buck except there was just a main beam and no other points even brow tines. I put a kid where I had been seeing Him a lot, but the kid killed a nice 6 point. Happy for the kid but wished that the spike would have been killed. I saw him chasing does a lot of times and expect that he bred a lot of them.
That old bigger buck doing the breeding does not hold water, as I killed a small racked 7 pt, right after I saw him breed a doe, and I know there was several better bucks in the area. I also watched a nice 6pt breed a doe 5 times one afternoon, and I had seen bigger bucks in the area before and after that day. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.