Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm just curious and not being argumentative, but I had a biologist look at our whitetail ground in the TX Panhandle which is 4000 acres. I wanted him to lay out a mgt plan as best he could considering it's a one buck county, and only recently allowing much doe killing.

His response surprised me. He said since mature whitetail bucks will roam 5-10 miles or more during the rut (this is nature's way of spreading genetics he said), unless you have a large expanse of property (including all the neighbors being on the exact same page) we would be wasting our time.

Obviously you can have more mature bucks around by shooting the inferior culls, but once again everyone has to be on board with the program. We are going through this management objective/program on our mule deer ground as we speak, but since it is 100 contiguous sections it should work.

Think about trying to get that plan to work in an area where the properties run from as little as 15-20 acres to mybe 200. It would take convincing at least 50 landowners to get 4000 acres where we hunt. As to deer breeders, it all comes down to what you want . I come from a time where if you responded to what did you kill and you said 8 pt everyone said wow and never cared if it scored 120 or 180. It was an 8 pointer. I kind of miss the simplicity. The deer breeders to me have sort of make a mockery of B&C and other trophy registers as well as trophy hunting in general. Like so much if you have a fat wallet you can buy what you want.