Great info, appreciate all the replies.

Sounds like 870 owners have not been let down. I read awhile back the later runs were not as good as the older, but maybe it was the el cheapo promo model, which granted lacks in the finish dept.

JB- I also have a '79 - but it's a Lightweight 3" 20, won in Stuttgart at the World Champion Duck Call contest, Jr. division.......great gun, light, but the 12 calls for all around duty, abundant ammo of all types, with a good payload. Like others, I have no use for anything larger than a 3" 12, if that won't get the job done, well it might be time for a rifle. Lol. JB, I had a TB - trap model long ago, the comb never suited me, would over shoot game, so it went down the road, and the 30" was a pain, 28 is much better and shot many over the years, but went to a 23 on a whim and loved the handling, blast...not so much, but the 26 sounds like a real fast handler with moderate blast vs say a 21 or 23.

Last question folks. Can the 870 magazine tube be swapped out for one that is extended? I take it the standard models hold 5 w/o a plug? Yes/no?

Thanks all, great info.