fwiw & imho,
28 gauge O/U by David McKay Brown or a Custom S/S AH Fox by CSMC depending upon whether I could switch to a s/s or not. I'm not at all a great fan of heavy engraving, however, something personal with Bobwhite featured and a favorite dog would be nice. Nothing shorter than a 28" Barrel with 29-30" preferred. Right now I shoot an SKB 785 28" 28 gauge, built on a 20 gauge frame, and it has been magic for 20 years. The SKB company, now defunct, came from a Samurai family named Sakaba. It was shortened to SKB. They made solid guns for what they are...

I could very easily live the rest of my life with one shotgun and without question it would be a well made 28... I could also make shotshell choice simple and shoot Winchester High Brass 1 ounce 7.5s(though I would leave shot choice open) just about exclusively short of set birds where you need less lead or either let them get to 30-35 yards. Close up is ugly.. B&P makes some grand 28 shot shells, however, they fool with my lead that I have worked out with Winchester 1 ounce loads over the years so I try to stick with what I know...

Best Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member