Alone, at 72, I no longer make the big batches of spaghetti sauce I learned to make by watching my dad make sauce on the weekend, when I was growing up. Those were all-day cooking affairs that sometimes began before breakfast. And they produced a gargantuan portion fit to feed a family and their guests.

Nowadays, instead of stocking tomato sauce, Italian peeled tomatoes, tomato paste, etc, I just begin with any of a number of prepared sauces, like Newman's Own or Classico, and doctor it up according to my mood and what I have on hand.

You don't need a recipe--be creative. Look over the leftovers in the fridge to see what could go into the sauce, particularly things like celery leaves that may even have begun wilting, etc.

Go easy on the onions in a pasta sauce!!!

I know this thread is about using the OP's cans of tomatoes. But a simple sauce can be made from an equal mix of butter and olive oil, plus some broccoli flowers and whole garlic cloves. Spices to taste, usually parsley/flakes, salt, cracked red pepper, black pepper, Italian seasoning, lots of grated Parmesan at serving.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg