I agree with most of the sentiments here. I think Academy is a better box store, generally, than Dick's.

The exception though is if the store they are building has a "Field and Stream" appendage. They recently opened up a Dick's and Field & Stream a few miles from my house. Really two big stores with an opened wall between them.

Field & Stream focuses entirely on the outdoor sports we love. I was honestly impressed when I went in it the first time. I expected the same tired selection of Savage and low end Remingtons and Marlins. I did not expect to see two long walls of guns, two tiers high, with all action types made under the sun. Bolts, levers, semis...Sig, Benelli, Berretta, they even had a few Weatherby rifles on hand. And not just the Vanguards, honest Mark Vs with the price tag to boot. Even had a case full of handguns too; and not just the plastic stuff. 1911s and even several revolvers.

Their reloading section wasn't robust at all but their ammo selection was impressive. Multiple brands and several oddball cartridges. First time I have ever seen .264WM, .220 Swift, and .35 Whelen in stock at the same place.

Typical knife selection on the shelves, but they had Zero Tolerance, KOA and an assortment of Benchmades in the case, among others.

Lots of good clothing too, including Sitka Gear. And their fishing selection is better than the local Academy too.

I spend a fair amount of money in that store...the Dick's store adjacent to it? Not so much. In fact, it is likely that I will never step foot in that store for the foreseeable future.