Grew up in Va, Tenn, and WVa in an era when folks could roam the farmlands and forest with no issues. Not that way anymore. In the 60's I came to the NW in the military and the lights went on.

In Oregon here which is about 55% public land and live in a county that has about 7,000 square miles of public desert and forest. I was out a week back hunting pronghorn in a unit that was 95% public land. Those aspects are what brought me to the NW. Request for permission would probably get me access to about 1/2 of the remaining 3,000 square miles of the landscape in the county. The capacities to hunt/fish/camp pretty much wherever are truly a treasure.

Were I in your boots, I'd probably spend the bucks to travel and hunt out of state. I still go out state for some better quality experiences, but those outings as well have all been on public lands (AK, ID, Wy, Nv, and Az). With low densities of game in the more arid areas, one has to do some scouting to find the jewels, but limited draws pretty well hold hunter densities to very conservative levels

Last edited by 1minute; 08/26/16.

1Minute