Originally Posted by beretzs
Very awesome gift to your father. That is some sorta awesome!!

I've been monkey'ing around with an old rechambered P64 I've had for a long time. Finally decided to shoot it. It was a 300 H&H but seems nicely rechambered to 300 Wby.

Originally Posted by pre64win
The .300 Wby Mag is a killer cartridge - perfect for NA big game in open country.

I've owned more than one pre 64 300 H&H which someone had rechambered into the .300 Wby. One of these rechambered rifles was done by Roy Weatherby himself, in the 1950s, I believe. As Roy Weatherby was trying to gain traction with his new cartridges, one of the things he did was offer very low-cost rechambering of non-Weatherby rifles into Weatherby cartridges. At the same time he was equipping big name hunters with these rifles and sending them on heavily publicized dangerous game hunts. A brilliant move, really, as it popularized the cartridges and therefore popularized the Weatherby rifles which had those chamberings from the factory.

[Linked Image]

I found out yesterday we have yet another .300 H&H coming into inventory which has the "H&H" XX'd out and "Wby" stamped above it. A pity the barrel has been modified from original, but a killer cartridge on a great rifle nonetheless. Depending on condition, we will either rebarrel it back to original, or use it as a parts donor rifle. In either case, I'll have a .300 Wby Mag barrel with a mint bore available on the website for anyone else is interested in owning a pre-64 chambered in this killer round. The bluing is mint and the price will be somewhere around $150.