Originally Posted by Backroads
My GPS says ownership is Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, it is west of Ringling Montana about 10 miles.

N 46 15.497
W 110 56.561

Your GPS would be wrong. RMEF acquires property and turns them over to state and federal agencies for access. You are confused with a conservation easement that might be held by RMEF.

Just last quarter, RMEF completed four projects that will open many thousands of acres of new access to the public. In 32 years of existence, they have helped create/improve access to over 700,000 acres of elk hunting grounds. RMEF has a lot more projects currently in the works that will open more access in the coming year.

Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by Crosschecker
RMEF holds TV hunts with companies/groups/people that support its conservation mission. It also conducts hunts with RMEF members, volunteers and other common folks--and yes, some of them are on public land.
It does not own any ranch land unless it's in the process of conveying that land to a state or federal agency to manage. It is against RMEF bylaws for RMEF staff or board members to hunt on any such land.

Is there documentation for this info?

Yes, it is in the by-laws of the organization. You can request such from Rod Tripke at Missoula HQ.

Ask away about RMEF. I've been on the Board of Directors for the last four years. I can assure you that most everything posted here are rumors that seem to make the rounds when someone gets bored.

A few comments on their TV show. They do have some average guys on the show. I've seen it many times. Watch the hunts with Kristy Titus taking three young girls. Watch the hunts when they take some of the key volunteers.

I did two TV episodes for them a couple years ago. Both were with regular members, all public land, and all self-guided. Both guys shot elk and had a great time, as did I, even if I didn't fire a shot.

Producing TV is very challenging and very expensive. Far more challenging on public land, without guides, especially with people who are not accustomed to the complications TV poses to hunting. It might look easy to someone who has not done it.

RMEF is asked by sponsors to deliver a highly polished media product. They do that at considerable work and investment. As a result, the TV show makes a profit that allows for more money to be invested in access and conservation.

I wish it was possible to make everyone happy, but that is not reality. Thanks to all members (220,000+) who donate, support, and volunteer (11,000+).

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."