Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bob,

Along with converting all my former H4350 loads to IMR4451 (which has gone very well so far), I'm also doing some of the same thing with H4831 and IMR7977. For the same reason, too--when H4831 becomes available, it's briefly and erratically, though not as much as H4350. Meanwhile 7977 has been pretty much constantly available since it was introduced, especially on Internet sites.

7977 not only works well in the .270 Winchester but various magnums from the .257 Weatherby to 7mm Remington to just about any .300 from the WSM to Wby. It's also one of the best powders in the .280 Ackley Improved, just in case you decide to upgrade from the .270 one of these days. :-)

John I already have an upgrade over the 270....it's called a 7 Rem Mag. grin

The IMR Data shows the 280 AI delivering less velocity at more pressure than the 7 RM,albeit with 7 gr more powder to which I say "So what?" . More pressure and less velocity doesn't sound like any bargain to me.... eek

Case capacity wins again!

Guess that's why I never "got" the 280AI thing,and likely never will. Just mention that in passing since i don't want to stir those 280 AI guys up....tough crowd. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.