Originally Posted by BobinNH
Oops here it is! grin
[Linked Image]

I really like the looks of that one, Bob.

I have to somewhat disagree with the rifle Darwinism theory when it comes to pre 64 M70s. I just don't feel that many, if any, needed "weeding out". Overall quality was known to be exceptional. The rifles functioned as designed, and they may not all have been tack drivers but the general concensus is that they shot just about any ammo of the time acceptably well. Which is what my experience with them has been. In my 1953 30-06, for example, I cannot find a 165 gr. bullet it won't shoot into 1.5" or better. And it does same with the only 2 150 and 180gr. bullets I have tried. Same goes for my bud's 30-06 circa 1954. Not tackdrivers, but more than accurate enough for reliably taking big game.

I now kinda wish I had kept more of my M70s. I recently sold my 7 mag, 300 mag, and custom 270 WSM. But the one I really wish I had kept was a Featherweight in 308. However, my 1957 M88 in 308 always seemed to jump it's place in line when hunting time rolled around. The Win 88 IS a tackdriver, and has needed no "refinements" ( the trigger on mine is better than most)........