Originally Posted by TDN
What do you want to do with said rifles?

Yep.

For me, I like finding a used donor rifle, generally a 700, buy the barrel blank I want, and sent to a smith for installation. I find the stock, trigger, and bottom metal I want and take care of the bedding upon receiving the barreled action. The parts you choose are dependent on your budget. A build with factory bottom metal, a Medalist stock, tuned factory trigger, and a bead-blasted SS tube is going to be a lot cheaper than the same rifle with aftermarket bottom metal, a bedded McMillan stock, aftermarket trigger, fluted barrel, and Cerakote. Just those differences listed there can easily exceed $850 in cost difference, even though the rifles may shoot just the same. It boils down to where you want to spend your money and how much of it you have to spend.

That being said, a very good-quality "parts gun" doesn't have to be crazy expensive. I saw ADL 700 package rifles at Wal-Mart the other day with rebates. They were hard to walk away from at $300 effective cost for the actions. A person could have a good custom stainless tube installed to their specs, with basic lug-lapping and action refacing, and bead-blasting at $550-$600. A used H-S or new Medalist can be found for $250-$275. A tuned 700 trigger is $50. That's about $1,150-$1,250 for a rifle that will likely shoot well, provided you had a good smith. And you get the chambering and barrel twist/contour/length you want.

Now with even more aplomb