Originally Posted by AKwolverine
It is, if your columns lined up and it was clear that you were deducting the "profit" of your scope. The way you have it listed would make a CPA cataplectic. Regardless, congrats on your build, but I'm with Bob on this one!

It's not that hard to follow, the numbers are there, you just add and subtract from one to the next, no columns needed.

Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by slickyboyboo
Ok, for the naysayers, and the curious, I will explain how I acquired all my parts for the price I did.

For the action, I purchased a mid 60s model 700 on gunbroker for $325 shipped to my FFL. I sold the laminate stock, the rings and bases, the trigger, and the original bolt. I then purchased a PTG 1-Piece Bolt.

That put me $144.40 into my Action.

For the Scope and Trigger. I purchased a Rem 700 XCR II with a Swaro Z3 4-12x50mm and a Jewell Trigger for $700. I took the Swaro off, and the rifle had to go back to Remington for a finish issue. Remington sent me back a "NEW IN BOX" rifle, and the separate Jewell trigger group back. I sold the new rifle, and had $0 in the Swaro and Jewell trigger.

I sold the Swaro,and bought a Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14, sold the LR/T and bought a Mark 4 ER/T 4.5-14 and ended up selling it. I cleared $1450 I bought my VX-6 and got a Rebate on the scope, so I have -$343.30 in my scope.

That puts me at Jewell Trigger - $0 and VX-6 - -$343.30

On to the McMillan Stock. Back about 3 yrs ago, I had back surgery, and the meds I was on would keep me awake for hours on end in the middle of the night, so I did a lot of eBay cruising. I sniped 2 B&C Alaskan Stocks for pennies on the dollar in the middle of the night on eBay, and sold them for a good profit, but a deal for someone looking to buy one. I then ordered my McMillan here.

That put me at McMillan Stock - $134.00

I picked up the Seekins Rail and Rings on Sale at MidwayUSA + free shipping for Rail - $69.99 and Rings $109.99

I ordered my barrel on special for $339.00 Shipped

Everything else I paid full price for, was just patient and bought when I could get free shipping, so the breakdown.

Rem 700 LA w/PTG 1-Piece Bolt - $144.40
Jewell Trigger - $0
Leupold VX-6 3-18x44mm - -$343.30
McMillan Hunter Stock - $134.00
Brux Barrel - $339.00
Seekins Rail - $69.99
Seekins Rings - 109.99
Tac Bolt Knob - $15.00
Callahan SpeedLock - $60.00
Holland Recoil Lug - $33.00
PTG Bottom Metal - $84.00
New SS Action Screws - $7.00

This brings me to a total investment in parts to $653.08

So, if I sold a chunk of land, then used the proceeds to buy a brand new truck, ergo;
I could announce in the 4x4 forum that folks can purchase a new truck for $1200 - if they're patient. whistle

No, not unless what you used to offset the price of your 4x4 was purely profit from your land sale, and not the initial investment.

Originally Posted by deflave
I made $20K flipping a house so all my guns were free.

Dave Ramsey

If that $20k was profit above and beyond your initial investment, and you used that money to actually buy $20K worth of guns, than you are correct, your investment in those guns is $0.

However if you just made $20K, and claim all the guns you ever bought were free, no that's not how it works.

Last edited by slickyboyboo; 09/24/16.