Originally Posted by BWalker

Grow up and get a life? Says the guy wasting his time shooting water jugs.
And are you sure on that one lost elk story? I seem to recall another that ran across a property line after you winged it.

Yes, grow up and get a life. You don't get to determine whether or not I am 'wasting' my time. For the cost of 6 water jugs that would have been shot later, my son-in-law and I had a lot of fun - so I consider the time well spent. I've wasted lots of time in my life but this wasn't one of those times.

In addition the tests confirmed exactly what I anticipated to be the case. All of the bullets expanded while passing through a single jug, including the 'tough' TTSX and the targets show not only did all the lead core bullets spray lead and/or copper jacket material, they demonstrated similarities and differences in the amount and just how wide the dispersal was. Do with that what you will.

Yes, I did wound another elk. It went down in head-high sage. As I approached it made it to and jumped a nearby fence onto private land. The elk didn't go far and in fact had already turned around and come back to the fence where it stopped, facing the fence. I don't know if it had the strength left to jump the fence again or not but the bull's strength was clearly fading. It seemed to me, based on watching other elk that have been shot, that simply standing was about all it could do at that point and I don't think that would have lasted long. A shot by a hunter on the private land made any such questions moot, as it went straight down an arm’s length from the fence. Had the other hunter not been there recovery would have been easy once I got permission to access the private land (the ranch house was a half mile away, maybe less). I don't consider that elk 'lost' as it never went far, was never out of sight and was quickly recovered by the other hunter.

ADFMDL

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.