Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by deflave
That stock is obviously a POS and should be replaced gratis.

Position shooting with a sling strains the fugk out of the front stud as well. To claim it can handle one and not the other is horse schit.

Travis

I agree. Back in the day when riflemen knew how to use a sling for shooting, rifles commonly had barrel bands to take the pressure of a tight sling.

If the OP's buddy had used the sling stud for its intended purpose, that rifle would have lasted for several generations. Don't blame the manufacturer for a failure of that nature when subjected to the usage it was put to.

Any fool would have examined the structural integrity of his fore arm before bolting something like a bipod to it, right? Right? To not do so, and then blame the stock maker for a failure related to that is ludicrous and narrow minded. On the other hand I agree that their response was uncalled for. They could have at least told him to take a hike in more friendly terms.

Nope, not the purpose of a barrel band. A barrel band mount with a tight sling is asking for a POI change.

The benefits of a barrel band are to allow the use of a shorter forearm and to keep the front sling in the proper location, and for rifles with significant recoil it prevents having a front stud that will smack your hand under recoil.

I believe we're picturing two different things. You, I believe, are referring to a small steel band that wraps around the naked barrel. I, on the other hand, when referring to rifles of yore with stout bands to hold a tight sling am referring to bands that encompass the stock too. Think Winchester M52A, Springfield M1903 NRA Sporter, Savage M19 NRA, etc. A slight case of diverging definitions.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/12/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty