Easy choice. I've owned plenty of 1911s and 3rd gen Smiths and still own a number of the S&Ws. I actually do carry a 4013 TSW. It weighs around 30 oz fully loaded, holds 9 in a double stack mag (there are 2 variants of the 4013, the first variant having a single stack mag and the TSW being a double stack). My next favorite carry gun is my S&W 457S, a compact alloy frame .45 ACP. I feel well armed with either and in fact any 3rd gen S&W.

3rd gen S&W will feed, fire and eject any type of bullet reliably. It will in fact, feed an empty case. Try that on your pistol.

They are durable - in over 25 years, I've never needed to change a part or repair one and I've fired tens of thousands of rounds through various 3rd gen pistols - 9mm, .40, .45, 10mm.

They are inarguably safer to carry, with a round in the chamber.

They have a very short single action trigger reset and I have yet to encounter one that wasn't superbly accurate for it's type.

No modifications are required to get the most out of these pistols for defensive purposes, although you might want to change the recoil spring to match your favorite load. My 4013 came perfectly sprung to handle full power rounds and is quite comfortable to shoot. Accurate follow up shots are very easy, should the need arise.

Spare mags are no problem and if you shop around, can usually be found at reasonable prices. Parts...the likelihood of needing a part for one of these is almost nil. I've never had to search for a part but I have to believe that you could get whatever you need in the highly unlikely event your 3rd gen S&W breaks.

1911 is still a great and iconic design, but there are better solutions and in my experience, the 4013 is one of the best. Safe, reliable, accurate, durable, light and compact. I carry in a leather IWB and once it's on, I don't even notice it's there.

The only problem with some of the 3rd gen S&Ws is availability. But if you're lucky enough to find one, it won't break the bank. My 4013 was a police trade in (in great shape) and if I recall correctly, I paid around $340 and it came with 3 mags. If I'd known how much I'd like it, I'd have bought a couple more.