Originally Posted by Fischer
I'm pretty sure that everybody has owned or fired at least one 1911 variant. But I'm wondering, how many of you who are dismissive of the 4013 as a carry gun have actually handled or fired one???

I have handled and fired 3rd generation Smiths enough to know I wouldn't buy one (now). Not that there was anything wrong with them at the time they were current. Just that there are so many better options.

The Ruger SR1911? Well - that's a matter of if you have to ask, you probably should look elsewhere. It's true that 1911's as a group are not as reliable as a lot of guns, but when they're done right, they work - and, well, if you have to ask.....
Anyway - I have yet to see or hear of any problems with the Ruger other than the initial bad run front sights. IIRC, Glock had a similar problem (and worse) early on. My SR1911 continues to run flawlessly, and I picked it up fairly early in the run.

Bottom line...between those two guns...no way I'd pay money for the Smith. The Ruger, like any other 1911.....if you don't know what makes it tick, you might want to pass.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.