Lots of veterans used to the 223 or tactical wannabes out there think of a 308 as a powerful longer range capable round. Honestly with the right bullets and good shooting it is just that. The fact that you can buy them much cheaper than other center fire rounds only helps, the 30-06 falls in that category of cheaper ammo too.

The 300 and 338 Lapua in use as sniper rounds have that attraction too. And they carry more power at longer ranges than the 7mm in almost any flavor. The 6.5 is the new darling of the long range guys and if you want cutting edge ballistic you can go with Nobler, Lazzeroni, the Rum's or 30-378 Bee.

The 7 predated the lrf and gave you point and shoot to about 350 yards on a deer, that was significant to open country hunters. Today with the availability to range over 1000 yards and dial reasonably priced scopes or calibrate drop to reticles that advantage isn't nearly as important.

I told a younger guy that I had started out with a 7mm and always considered the 308 as kind of a piss ant caliber for hunting and you'd have thought I'd slapped him.