I've shot a 25/06 since about 1980. I shot Rem. Core-Lokt 120 gr. in the M77. I used it exclusively until in the early 90's when I changed it out for a Ruger 77UL in a 270 only because it was so much lighter and it fit my style of hunting better as I liked to get away from the crowds with an old Amacker climber on 1 shoulder and the 77 UL over the other. But when Marlin came out with the Model 7 in the 25/06 with the shorter barrel and lighter weight than the old 77, I had to try it after reading all of the reviews on it. It is my go to deer rifle for the last several years.

I can say this, I had wanted a 270 from childhood reading O'Connors stories and his loving the 270. But for me, I have had a good bit higher % of deer fall right where they were shot with the little '06 than the 270. I love the cartridge, and with all the different bullets and companies who load this cartridge, I have no need to buy higher priced cartridges than the 120 Core-Lokt. It will do a number on the deer without messing up a lot of meat and both my rifles have shot them very well.

One last thought. I don't remember ever shooting a deer with it that I did not see its reaction when I shot which is important to me. And with all the people that recommend a 7/08 for a child or lady to shoot just starting out, I say let them shoot the 25/06. Felt recoil is much lighter than the '08's I have shot and it is hard to get any better than DRT which the majority of the deer I have shot with mine have expired. Just my thoughts-