Originally Posted by 378Canuck
If you shoot critures under 100 yds put the scope on if you can't understand how open sights work. Too me its like putting a scope on a bow. I have a Marlin 336 30-30 . It is actually designed a saddle rifle not a sniper unit.

First, the gun has wore a scope it's entire life - the fact I put a Nikon 2-7x on it rather than the 1950's Weaver 4x my dad had on it my entire life doesn't make it a "sniper unit". Second, there are at least a dozen bucks running around my land, making sure that I'm shooting at the right buck is important to me and a scope set at 3x allows me to do that (my eyes alone won't). Third, I hunt the Sandhills.. if I have to chase a wounded deer, it ain't gonna be a 50 yard follow up shot. Getting to 200 yards can be a chore.

[Linked Image]

And last... I've shot tens of thousands of rounds out of M16's, and thousands of rounds out of old lever actions with peeps or open sights. I choose a scope because.. I want a frigging scope and my dad's gun has always had a scope and it's always going to have one.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com