Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
If you shoot critures under 100 yds put the scope on if you can't understand how open sights work. Too me its like putting a scope on a bow. I have a Marlin 336 30-30 . It is actually designed a saddle rifle not a sniper unit.

First, the gun has wore a scope it's entire life - the fact I put a Nikon 2-7x on it rather than the 1950's Weaver 4x my dad had on it my entire life doesn't make it a "sniper unit". Second, there are at least a dozen bucks running around my land, making sure that I'm shooting at the right buck is important to me and a scope set at 3x allows me to do that (my eyes alone won't). Third, I hunt the Sandhills.. if I have to chase a wounded deer, it ain't gonna be a 50 yard follow up shot. Getting to 200 yards can be a chore.

[Linked Image]

And last... I've shot tens of thousands of rounds out of M16's, and thousands of rounds out of old lever actions with peeps or open sights. I choose a scope because.. I want a frigging scope and my dad's gun has always had a scope and it's always going to have one.

Like.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg