The 1892 prototype at the factory has a 33" barrel and felt a good deal heavier than 10 pounds. Unfortunately I didn't have a way to weigh it.
There are a few other errors in the article that I won't go into unless you guys want me too. One of the glaring errors is that he said the sporting rifles were made in nearly 30 different calibers. I only know of 14, or 15 if you include the .410 shotgun. He also said the sporting rifles were made in over a dozen different barrel lengths. I only know of four standard lengths: 20, 22, 24 and 26" or six if you count the early optional lengths of 28 and 30".
He talks about a second 1899 musket which is at the factory. He says it is 303 caliber. If he means the musket we're referring to as a pre-1899 I wonder why it would have the longer receiver if it's a 303. It could be a 303 and Savage was developing a longer receiver to accept the 30-40 Krag caliber. But why go to the expense of custom building a longer receiver and then chambering it in 303?
Unfortunately even with new computer glasses I'm unable to read the articles Gene posted. If someone could email them to me at wyomingsavage1895gmail.com. I'd appreciate it.
David

Last edited by wyo1895; 12/11/16.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]