In reviewing this post for the changes to my book I think what I described as the "Savage factory pre-1899 military test rifle" (this is what the factory label called it) in Figs. 1-16 and 1-17 on page 13 of my book must definitely be the New York National Guard trials rifle. Considering all the information above in support of this fact is the further question if this is not the trials rifle what is it? Other information like Arthur Savage's letters concerning the Perris Special is that a prototype like this was extremely expensive. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that this rifle was produced for anything else as concrete as a trial for a military rifle. I don't think Savage spent thousands of dollars without a substantial goal for producing the rifle. As for the bolt Savage may have already been experimenting with the cocking indicator that was developed for the 1899. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]