I'm trying to decide between these two calibers. Would like it to be a reasonable light rifle for high country mule deer although it would be pressed into service with whitetails as well. AND, it might well be used by an aspiring teenage hunter as well. For discussion sake, I already have a 7mm Rem mag.

I'm thinking about possibly going with a 20" barrel (Howa Ranchland) to save size and weight. If I think the stock is too heavy, might switch to a lighter one but I kinda like the feel of their overmolded stock. Or maybe I'll consider a Tikka Lite Stainless (22" barrel). Is there a downside to a 20" barrel? I have heard a few comments that the 25-06 gets pretty loud with the short tube. How about ballistics? I've also heard that the 25-06 needs a longer barrel to take advantage of all that powder behind it. I'm no ballistics expert so hoping someone here can give some input

Regarding these two calibers, could either be a responsible consideration for elk? Are they both more than adequate for a rutting mule deer buck? Any other thoughts that would sway my decision? I've thought about the 270 but concerned that it might be a bit much for a young shooter and start to overlap my 7mm Rem Mag.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have!