And if you want to go further, the 7mm-08 has no significant range limitations for normal hunting situations. It will easily take deer to 300 yards and a little beyond with practice. It kills quickly and effectively within that range. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable at the longer ranges in that window with something smaller. Although, I'll concede that the .25s and the 6.5s probably do just as well. If I were looking at shots consistently longer than that or even on the top end of that window, I would probably want something with more umph. If everything was 200 yards or less, then a Win 94 30-30 would do nicely.

But I don't sit in a stand over a feeder so I carry my rifles a lot. A nice, light and short 7mm-08 lets me still hunt with the rifle comfortably in my hands where it should be. With it, I am at no disadvantage if the deer is 30 yards away or 275 yards across a field I'm looking at.

It is all about having enough rifle to give a little margin but not too much that it becomes a chore to carry.