Live weight to carcass/hanging weight is about a 38 to 40% decline. Carcass weight to cut and wrapped is about a 70 to 75% yield if one does bone in saw cuts. Bone it out completely, and one is down to about a 55 to 60% yield based on carcass. A carcass has no head, hide, innards, or bone past the knees/hocks.

I'd say one is pretty close to being in the ball park, especially if there was some serious trim due to drying/contamination, blood shock, and fat. I always make a serious effort remove fat from large game. There are some fat soluble enzymes that can be active well below 32 degrees. With extended storage they can have a significant effect on flavor.

One can probably elevate yield by doing it your self, and taking it down to near a white skeleton. That is trimming everything as clean as possible with most that going into burger or stew meat. Given the volume handled, commercial folks cannot take the time to shave off those last tiny bits.

In the beef world where things are relatively sterile and clean, one can expect about 350 lbs of meat from a 1,000 lb live weight steer. I.e live to cut and wrapped is about a 35% yield.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/29/16.

1Minute