Plan on getting snowed on. Might not happen, but I've been snowed on in that country as early as August 9, tho the next day it was 75. Killed my first ram on the 11th.

The last time I hunted 40-mile country, we cut our walk-in sheep hunt short in semi-blizzard wet snow and fog conditions before even getting to sheep mountain. Time frame and weather both..... Did kill a caribou on the way out on August 13, tho. For our hunt, which may not be the one in question now, the opening date for caribou has been moved to Sept 1 I think. ( Us from the road hunters were just too good!) Almost guarantee snow by then, tho it may not stick. Heck, we may be hunting that country again next year if we leave here!

The bag should be "comfort rated" to at least zero, with of course an insulting pad underneath. I've always used a 72" closed cell foam pad, light, not too bulky, and insulates from ground well. Roots, rocks, and bumps be damned!. If a chance of getting it wet, choose synthetic fill. It is warmer than down when wet. Heavier either way tho. A cheap, light poly tarp or two of at least 8X10 is invaluable for any number of uses.

Fire starting sticks, ribbon, magnesium, etc. is advisable if wood is wet from prolonged rain. Second on cutting your own walking/shooting sticks on site.

Take a filtering device, tho the likely hood is that you can catch all the drinkable water you need off the fly.

My rule and experience has always been: Take care of your feet, sleep warm if not necessarily dry, and get enough calories ((read fat content), and everything else is manageable.

You'll laugh about it later....... smile

Good luck!

Last edited by las; 01/16/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.