Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Then I will use my 8 man tipi and stove. I have titanium pans and skillet. I will treat the weight limit as an ultralight backing trip.
Snake:

You can carry more on a fly-in hunt than on an ultralight backpack hunt, a few luxuries like a small folding stool, etc. The bush pilots that I have flown with generally limit personal gear to 75# per person. I suppose that each pilot is different and weight limits vary with different planes.

Last September we hunted on the upper Kivalina River and experienced three days of winds 40 to 50 mph. The Cabelas dome tent endured the wind without any problems. We used my Sierra Designs Origami-3 tipi as a cook shack. I tied it down with rocks and stakes using every tie down available and some extras. It made it through the week only with lots of maintenance. It was so badly damaged that I had to retire it. It wasn't worth repairing. A better "made-in-America" tipi (Seek Outside or Kifaru) might have done better. I don't know. But I was disappointed by how poorly the tipi reacted to the wind and pleased by how well the aerodynamic dome tent shed the wind.

I don't want to reignite an old fight. I'm just relating my personal experience.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.