I shot a Hoyt Ultratec 2003 cam and 1/2 version for 10 years. Loved that bow. In 2013 I picked up a Hoyt Charger - short little budget model. Great bow, loved it - last season traded for a Hoyt Defiant - fancier aluminum bow. Shooting it currently while waiting for a Carbon Defiant.

All decent bows, I shoot them all about the same (440-445 on the Vegas 450 round or 50-55X 300's NFAA BHFS) The lack of hand shock is pretty amazing and my last couple bows all have AMO ratings around 330fps. They are easier than ever to aim and hold, and shoot smooth and quiet. Ten years ago I would never have thought I could shoot a 30" bow as well as my older 38-40" rigs, but it has proven to be true. I can shoot 60# bows that shoot with more force/speed/energy than my old 70# rigs. My current bow shoots 330 AMO the Ultratec was 308 AMO. The Defiant does draw a little stiffer but still very smooth.

A couple weeks ago my local shop had a Hoyt Freestyle (Modern Ultratec) on the rack. First shot I about dropped it on the floor with the recoil - wow, I had totally forgotten what that was like. I spent about a half hour trying to like that bow and finally went back to my Defiant. I have no desire to go back to a longer forward facing limb anymore.

I would suggest giving the Hoyt Powermax a fair shake. I think that after shooting it for a while, going back to your old bow will be disappointing. Or if you are happy with your old rig, just shoot it and be happy.

Last edited by centershot; 01/24/17.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope