Originally Posted by szihn
I believe it's for 2 reasons.
#1. Shooter ignorance,
which is directly connected to reason #2
That being simply what the industry is making and selling.

Shooter ignorance of the usefulness and assets of fixed power scopes may have something to do with the lack of availability. Today it's getting a bit harder to find good fixed powder scopes, so many of us settle for a variable. The factories may be making more money on variables, but that's just a guess.

I have been working on a scope mounting system that incorporates windage and elevation, and is rugged enough for military use. The adjustment range can move the POI at 100 yards over 60 FEET left to right. It will move the elevation up 15 FEET and down 9 feet. So zeroing will not be a problem.

I don't know if I am going to pull this off yet, but I am poking at it right now.

My idea is to make SUPER good quality scopes with ranging marks on the reticles. NO windage and NO elevation built in at all. Just a slick tube that can be used to drive nails without damage to the lenses.

My idea is to make all adjustments on the base. If I can get it done and make it strong enough I have been assured by 3 scope companies(In Europe) that they can make "bomb proof" scopes at about 15% the cost of their best offerings today, if it were nothing but a telescope and there would be no reduction in quality at all.
In fact I am told they can make an even better product, but the adjustments would all have to be external.

I am working on that now. I can do it, but I need to do it an a way that is (A) Bomb-proof and (B) not overly large or heavy. Small and light are the challenges. I hope I can do it. We'll see.

But I believe a $200 -$275 scope of the best quality made in the world can be put on $500 mounts,(total $700 to $800 + or-) and we'd have a far better system than having $2400-to $3000 scopes of the same (or slightly less) quality on $150 mounts.(total $550 to $3150 + or-)

This is not my "1st love" and I am dinking around with it on my spare time, but I do have some interest generated so far, so I am going to see if I can move forward with this.

Jeff Cooper wrote of this some years back, but i
don't ever remember any manufacturer interest