Kuharsky base sets and B&L vintage scopes are on Ebay all the time. Browning/Sako and Win 70 pre-war right now... Look to be New In Pkg...

The 6x Hunter Benchrest scopes are pretty much state of the art. Sightron, and Burris (maybe still) are committed there. Leupold made the Mark 4 6x and the M8 6x w/ao and their tall target turrets. Those tall turrets are pretty rugged and precise. Have had 2 of the 6x mk4 and at least 1 of the M8s all tricked-out.

Biggest area for Improvement I'd like to see is reduction in the length of the ocular lens group. Leupold is about the best in that dept, and it really aids positioning. Along with that, would like to see longer eye relief.

Tactical knobs are great for precision dialing, but with ballistic dots, if you are zeroed, you're ballpark for making your shot even if the reticle adjustment craps out. Another reason for a glass-etched reticle; they don't break.

The mark 4 10x and 6x scopes offered Mil-Dot, Target-Dot, and Duplex reticle choices. The 6x scope was only a couple years in production, back in the late 90s. I have had all 3 reticles.

Lots of guys rave about the 1.5-5x design for toughness. There is a Mark 4 model with a very good specialty reticle, built to be tough with precise movements. Get the lit reticle and order a turret tuned to your ammunition to have all the tricks. Set that baby at 5 and you're at 4.5x. Spendy, but gives you all the options. Also has a very short ocular lens assy.

I also have one of the steel 26mm tube IOR-Bucuresti's with a German #1 style reticle. It's a cool scope, but 26mm rings aren't easy to source these days.