Originally Posted by jeffbird
Here is a video from Clint Smith on the subject.

Always thought he seemed to have pretty practical advice for the average person.

Thoughts?

He certainly brings something to the training table, but that video demonstrates that he is selling a product to a wide market of people who carry a wide variety of firearms. So, he standardized on one technique for one size fits all. This is what he said:

There’s no reason to believe that I will be fighting with my gun.

Oh, OK, how many citizens or police in America wind up fighting with someone else’s gun? If so, how many people in said situations get a gun that is a different make or model with no commonality of platform? If it is a different gun and a different platform, why would there be reason to believe that the ammo in his magazine pouches or the magazines themselves will fit in said gun.

What I’ve done is load every single pistol on the planet. . .

He never says that a slide lock release is prone to error or less effective or slower. He just uses this technique because it works on every gun on the planet, which makes it easier to teach the thousands of people who pass through his classes each year. In fact, he implicitly concedes that it is slower but discounts that speed is a big deal in reloading during gunfights when he mentions that nobody has a timer during a gunfight.

Before adopting any technique, it is a good idea to figure out the backstory on why it is being taught, and how it fits into one's own needs and capabilities.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln