Originally Posted by jeffbird
Here is a video from Clint Smith on the subject.

Always thought he seemed to have pretty practical advice for the average person.

Thoughts?

There is so much wrong with that it's sad. No offense to Clint, in the 90's when very, very few knew how to run guns I'm sure what he said was about as good as it got. However it ain't 1992 anymore, there are small groups that have killed more people with carbines and pistols before sunup of a single night than ALL of law enforcement will in a year. Those dudes were trained by Robbie Leathem, The Burner, Todd Jarret, Jeff C., Frank Proctor, etc. because after a few gunfights they realized they needed the best shooters on the planet to teach them how to shot the gun.

It equally applies to civilians- shootings/fights are the only events in the world where the rank amateur and world class face the exact same task. You don't get a break because you are a banker or farmer and not a commando.

So let's just break what he said down-

1) "There's no timer in a gunfight".

Freaking stupid. Of course there is- and the other party has the timer. That's like saying "I've never seen a weight in a gunfight, so I don't care if you're as weak as a 10 year old boy". Again STUPID statement.

2) "Keep the gun between you and the target".

Just what is an empty gun going to do for me here? The thing is a paper weight without bang bangs- reload it as quickly as possible. It isn't a magic talisman- it's a tool. Use it as best as possible.

3) "When it locks back you're going to push forward"

Uhhh. That's called a "flinch" or "anticipation". I.e. You shouldn't be doing that.

You want to see some videos of people that know how to shoot, fight and train others to do the same?