I've shot 1911 and really like their trigger. I'm looking at polymer striker fired pistols in 9mm but I guess my "hang up" is their triggers kinda suck (or perhaps I'm spoiled by the 1911 trigger?)

A long time ago I did have an H&K P2000 in 9mm and did not like having two different trigger pulls with their DA/SA. Also the trigger reach was really long for me. Plus for some reason, the pistol seemed very snappy for a 9mm. I was surprised that a 1911 45acp was much more pleasant to shoot. The recoil felt milder, less snappy.

I also shot my friends XD 9mm compact. The recoil only felt slightly less than my 1911. The trigger felt "mushy"

To add insult to inquiry, the handgun has to southpaw friendly as I'm a lefty.

I'm looking at M&P 9mm as it seems the most southpaw friendly with many ambi controls. I was thinking of perhaps getting it with a thumb safety since I'm coming from a 1911. Is this silly?

I heard the trigger sucks on them. Smith & Wesson customer service said that I'd void the warranty if I put an apex trigger in it. But if it significantly improves the trigger, I'm for it.

I'm open to other considerations as well. Thank you for your help!