Hi Dave,

I only have a Colt XSE 1911 Govt and Ruger GP100 and was looking to explore my options. Both of my firearms have limited capacity, 6-shot revolver, and 8+1 1911.

The 1911 is a 45acp which can get expensive even though I handload. I can find used 45acp brass pretty cheap if I'm willing to put in some elbow grease. The powder and primers are a wash, 45 acp doesn't use much powder. The bullets however, are a bit more expensive across the board.

Given that the 1911 also has reputation of being finicky eater in regards to hollow points, I figured I'd explore the polymer striker fired pistols since they have a reputation of eating any and every thing plus are "cheap" as least compared to 1911.

I don't go hog crazy spending big &&& on 1911. I try to stay in the $1,000 range +/- $100.

The polymers look to run in the $550-$650 range. But as I look more into them, they seem to have hidden costs. If I want to use the cheap lead bullets in glock, I have to buy an aftermarket barrel. So there's $100+. Plus heard glock sights are junk and need to be upgraded? More $$. For M&P, there's the Apex which is what? Around $160 and voids S&W warranty. For Xd, I think what I read is that I'd have to step up to the XdM which is about $100 premium.

So, I guess I'm getting more sticker shock regarding these cheaper polymer striker fired pistols. There's seem to be some hidden costs in regards to getting them up to where most people want them to be that makes them not a whole lot cheaper than a 1911. Especially after continuous hearing on internet that they can get two glocks or two of this handgun for price of one 1911.

I'm not a 1911 fanboy, at least I don't consider myself one. I realize that they're not a perfect platform and have their quirks that one should be aware of if they want to run a 1911.

I like revolvers a lot. They meet a lot of my needs but not good choices for CCW.

I just haven't found a platform that I like yet so getting frustrated in my search, without trying to broke in my search, lol!

Leo