Originally Posted by RBO
I'm not sure if I'm off track here, but the advantage I see with the AI's and the .284's is that like on most (not all) rifles I've loaded for it's usually a mid or upper mid range load that has produced the most accuracy. If a guy can load the 6.5mm or 7mm bullets in an AI to an accurate load that would be at the top end speed of the 260rem or regular 7mm-08 but not necessarily at max load for the AI's, or the .284's.

Another question I have is, does a model 20 with a 22" number 1 contour barrel balance as nice as a model 24 with a 24" number 2 contour barrel? The reason I want a model 20 is because I was so impressed with the fit and feel of the 24 that I wanted to see what the lighter virsion does. Maybe I'm best off just to get a 6.5x284 in a model 24 with a 24" barrel if it balances out better than the model 20?

Mid to high-end loads shooting best in any given chambering is a matter of pressure in that chambering, not so much absolute velocity. So that will typically apply to any of the chamberings you're considering.