RBO,

I have pointed this out already, though not as specifically: There's so little case capacity gained by AI'ing either the .260 or, especially, the 7-08 that the velocity gained is at most 2%.

I was once sent a custom 7mm-08 for testing, made by a famous gunsmith who really believed in the magic of the cartridge. The gain in case capacity was 7%, which sounds impressive--except any gain in case capacity only results in 1/4 as much gain in velocity, when both cases are loaded to the same pressure. This translates to a gain of less than 2% in velocity, or around 50 fps. The gunsmith's own handloads got just about exactly 2900 fps with 140-grain Ballistic Tips, and a little over 2700 with 160-grain Sierra GameKings. It is pretty easy to get the same velocities using published data in the standard 7-08, and in fact I've done it in every one of the several 7-08's I've owned, all with 22" barrels.

Now, the gunsmith's rifle did have a slightly shorter barrel, as I recall 21". So in a 22" 7-08 AI you might be able to beat them by 25-50 fps.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck