I've decided I need a Kifaru pack. I tried one on over the weekend from a Fire member and really liked the way it fit. Definitely a Hunter Frame with 24" length but am trying to decide between bags and various options. The intended use is 1-3 day backpack trips in the elk woods in October and Smoky Mtns during spring/summer/fall. I used a Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 last year and think it has plenty of volume for both times of the year and trip types.

I found last year I like pockets and organization over simple volume and a main compartment. I also like the panel load feature.

Here's what I'm chewing on:

Option 1:The 2 bag system

Hunter Frame
Timberline 2 Bag
22 Mag bag

I really liked the modularity of the Kuiu system - pack in with the big bag, switch bags, day hunt with smaller bag. When you kill, the smaller bag is large enough to allow pack out of first load/horns.

I'm trying to decide between the Timberline 2 or Mtn Warrior for the big bag either will have the Guide Lid.

Option 2: the 1 bag option

Hunter Frame
Woodsman w/ guide lid

The Woodsman is 3000 to 4000 cu inches, depending on how you run the snow collar and without the Guide Lid, 5200 with snow collar fully extended and a Guide Lid. I could also add a Spotting Scope side pocket for a bit of extra space.

I'm thinking the Woodsman option, with Guide lid, may have enough cu inches to haul 1-3 days worth of elk gear and is small enough to be used for a day pack.

A note: Some/many/most are going to say buy the Mtn Warrior/Timberline 2 and compress it down and only buy 1 bag. My issue is that I have a short torso and the main bag will stick up above my head - and snag on everything I'm trying to move under/around - hence why I prefer the 2 bag option.

Thoughts on any of the bags or options I've mentioned here?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bwinters; 03/13/17.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.