Exactly.

This can easily be demonstrated with a ballistic program by comparing the trajectories of the 180-grain spitzer Partition and its counterpart, the Protected Point, which is the same except for the flat tip--very much like the tip of the spitzer would look after days of "flattening" on safari.

The listed ballistic coefficient for the spitzer is .474 and the PP .361, yet if you start them both at a muzzle velocity of 2750 fps (typical for a .30-06 handload) and sight them in at 200 yards, the difference in drop at 300 yards is much less than an inch, and a little over two inches at 400. Neither would ever be important when shooting at a kudu. Only at 500 does the difference amount to much, and even then its only about 5 inches.

And as Jim pointed out, most kudu are shot at much closer ranges. The only two I've killed past 200 yards (or even seen killed by companions) were Cape kudu, the slightly smaller subspecies found in the up-and-down country of the Eastern Cape. One was taken at 250 yards and the other at 360--and longer shot was made with a .30-06 and handloaded 180-grain Partition spitzers handloaded to just about 2750 fps.

I'd been hunting for around 10 days by then, and had already taken quite a few animals. The rounds had been in and out of the magazine many times, in between being subjected to recoil. I have no idea whether the bullet that killed the bull at 360 yards had a normal tip, deformed tip, or if the tip was completely flattened like the Protected Point's. Don't really care, because it wouldn't matter at that range, and didn't, since the kudu dropped to my first shot, which landed where I aimed.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck